CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 23, 2009

The "other" babies


...aren't really babies anymore!  As sad as it makes me that I can't squeeze and cuddle P&L like I used to, it's been just a blast to see them grow up.  In the last few months it's been an explosion of words and personality.  I love to see what fun little people they're turning into - and it's hard to imagine that the next two could be as enjoyable.  (though don't get me wrong, we're very very excited)


These past few months we've been trying to prepare P&L for a new brother and sister - not sure if it's really sinking in yet.  This weekend we're off to the mall so they can each buy a gift for the new babies (probably security blankets).  Anyone else have advice on how to prepare 2- 2 year olds for the arrival of 2 new babies?

7 comments:

MyLifeMyWorld said...

Honestly I thought it was really special to have the newborn babies buy them a gift (and present it in hospital) and the siblings (older babies) buy the new baby a gift and present it in hospital.

The gifts I found that works the best is actually dolls! Even for boys! Because boys can be "dads". It gives them a chance to model their mom and dad's behaviour, with their own "babies" as well as something to focus their energy on while mom and dad are busy tending to newborns. ie: Time to change diapers, get your babies we're all going to change diapers...and you all change diapers, tots with their dolls, mom with newborns, etc. You can sing a song while doing it too, and it just gets them involved I guess.

Lastly, while waiting for babies to arrive, besides picking out a gift for the tots to give to their newborns, you can have them make their own "I'm going to be (or am) (or both) a big brother/sister" shirts to wear. Great fun and helps to prepare them for their role change...

Just some thoughts and things I did along the way.

Betsey said...

I can't believe how big they are! They look so cute in the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Andrews said...

Goodness they are little cuties!!!!

MylissaLynn said...

I second the baby doll suggestion. That and lots of hugs and "big kid" time. Letting P&L know how important their job is to look after their little brother & sister. Making them the big helpers.

This is soooo exciting! I am so happy that you even have to ask this question! LOL

Cyn said...

Since Ciera wasn't into dolls AT ALL, Logan gave her a playdough tub with playdough tools. They were her first 'tools' and it gave her something fun to do when my hands were busy-plus I was looking for something she could do in the hospital.

I felt it was important to make sure Ciera got gifts at the time of Logan's birth so that when we received 'baby' gifts she didn't feel left out, even just a little something.

Sanda said...

The two are such cuties!

Cyn said...

They really are adorable!! I just love all the character that you can see from both of them in pictures!!