CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 2, 2009

More delivery thoughts

Strangely, I'm not actually worried about going through labor. I guess it's just been too many years since I've been there. The mind lets you forget a lot in 9 1/2 years. Plus, I'm really counting on that epidural. In Texas, where my kids were born, the hospital required that I was dilated to at least a 4 or 5 before I could get an epidural. My CA OB assures me that they prefer I get an epidural whenever I want it-and there is no requirement that I be dilated a certain amount first.

If we go the c-section route, I know there will be discomforts after the surgery, but I feel like I can handle them better now that I know what to expect. I will not leave the hospital until my husband has filled my prescriptions for me. (Last time we were discharged Sunday afternoon/early evening and had a horrible time getting my pain killers filled. It actually wasn't sorted out until the following morning. Thankfully we were lucky enough to 'borrow' a few pills from someone with the same prescription.) I also now know to insist that the catheter be put in AFTER I receive my spinal. The insertion and removal of my catheter are some of my worst memories. I also now know to get up and walk around before it's been 24 hours-even if the night nurse doesn't think to do so.

I've been working with the idea that this twin pregnancy will be easier/better because I've done it before and know more what to expect. My mantra is 'I can do even better this time', but it's also another pregnancy and there's a bit of a worry that my body won't agree with my mind. That's where the fears of something happening early come in.

Now, I don't know anything about how blood pressure works or what causes it to raise. I do know that August is VERY hot and I had a ton of swelling-swelling that I so far don't have. I've really hoped that a winter delivery will help with the swelling and overall discomfort that I had the first time-so far so good. Somewhere around 35 weeks, I went in for my weekly appointment and my blood pressure was a little high. I had rushed to get there and was feeling a little stressed. At the end of the appointment it was still high though.So doc said to 'go on light duty bed rest' for the remainder of the day and the following day and to come back in for a recheck. This was not difficult to do as I had already put myself on a 'self-imposed' light duty bed rest at 34 weeks (when they would not stop labor if it started). Two days later I went back in and the blood pressure was fine. When I went in for my 36 week 4/5 days check, STE was in town and was going to meet our OB for the first time. We were also hoping to ask him to reschedule our c-section for 4 days later. I will admit that I was VERY nervous about STE meeting the doc. I'm not sure why, it's not like she would've had us change Dr.'s at that point. So, my blood pressure was high again and the doc laughed at the idea of moving the c-section. He felt the babies would do fine born at that gestation (36weeks 6 days and in fact they did) and didn't want to mess with the blood pressure issues. So, the c-section went on as scheduled and my blood pressure was fine when we checked into the hospital (I think it was the next day). So, I'm not really anticipating any blood pressure issues this time. Part of me really thinks we can make it to 3-3-09, 38 weeks 5 days, but part of me does worry about the whole 'going into labor' on my own aspect.

I also don't think I'll have a fast labor. Both of my labors were at least 'augmented' with pitocin and lasted for at least 8 hours. I really do think they can make it down in time to not miss the birth, but I would hate to encourage that thinking and they miss the birth. They are a good 12+ hour drive away and flying is the reasonable option, but the last flight out is generally around 9pm and then not another flight until 6 or 7 am. That's a pretty good gap of time for us to be without an option should labor come on at 8 or 9pm. I'm just going to go back into my happy little bubble where they make it just fine and everything works out perfectly. I know STE will do enough worrying about it for all of us.

2 comments:

MyLifeMyWorld said...

Ahhh, that explains it all. I agree stay in your happy bubble, you got enough to worry about at this time that it's nice to be able to share the craziness of it all.

Sounds like you didn't really have blood pressure issues at all, just that you had some bad timing....I guess we'll wait and see when you present that birth story of yours! Should be fun!

Queenie327 said...

It's my understanding that babies come when they want to come. 1st baby more than 2 weeks early with 7 hrs labor. 2nd baby 1 week early with less than 1 1/2 hrs labor!